On November 30, 2022, ChatGPT was launched, and within a month of its launch, it took over the internet like wildfire. So! What was so special about it? Before I go on and talk about it, why? It is so special, and why? It spread like wildfire on the Internet.
You have to know what AI (Artificial Intelligence) is Artificial intelligence (AI) is “the ability of a digital computer or computer-controlled robot to perform tasks commonly associated with intelligent beings. The term is frequently applied to the project of developing systems endowed with the intellectual processes characteristic of humans, such as the ability to reason, discover meaning, generalize, or learn from past experience.
Since the development of the digital computer in the 1940s, it has been demonstrated that computers can be programmed to carry out very complex tasks—such as discovering proofs for mathematical theorems or playing chess—with great proficiency. Still, despite continuing advances in computer processing speed and memory capacity, there are as yet no programs that can match full human flexibility over wider domains or in tasks requiring much everyday knowledge. On the other hand, some programs have attained the performance levels of human experts and professionals in performing certain specific tasks, so that artificial intelligence in this limited sense is found in applications as diverse as medical diagnosis, computer search engines, voice or handwriting recognition, and chatbots.” sources Britannica
Well! With the above definition, you may have an idea of what AI is and why. Great people like Elon Musk entrepreneur and founder of Space X, Tesla (owner), and Twitter (owner), now called X, are so scared of AI’s latest development. Before! We get scared and freeze; we have to look at both sides’ advantages and disadvantages.
- Automation: Well! I could have written this article in ChatGPT or Bard (Google). I am sure most of you who have read this article would have never figured this out. Because it was written by AI, writing an article is not an easy task; it takes a lot of time, and people’s attention span is decreasing day by day. That is when automation becomes a key player. Not only does it help in writing, but it could help many people in medicine, technology, engineering, and so on, like being able to detect disease prior to being diagnosed by any disease.
- Time Saving: If you are the CEO of a big tech company like Apple, Google, or Facebook (for example), you have very little time for a lot of tasks that are time-consuming. Today! We can use AI for almost any task, whether it is drawing, producing music, video editing, and so on. One just AI that took the internet by storm was Mid-Journey (you just type text that you have in mind and it will be converted to a picture). I had used Mid Journey when it had a free trial, but now they have closed the free trial because people have started to use it in the wrong way.
- Limitation: Humans have limitations. If you ask me who Marcus Aurelius (Roman Emperor) is, I will be able to tell you that I know him from the book called Meditation, but not beyond that. But! If you ask Chat Gpt who is Marcus Aurelius (Roman Emperor), he will tell you everything about him depending on the questions that you are asking. While you may wonder how that is possible, the only way to make it possible is by teaching the Chat GPT or an AI everything about science, technology, history, and so on. As Chat GPT has been taught in diverse tropics, why? It could be able to answer your questions. There are also many AI’s that are only taught to do one specific task for example you can use Do Not Pay, a virtual lawyer better said AI lawyer you can use it to sue anyone.
- Job loss: Recently, many Holly Wood script writers and other writers who work in Hollywood have protected against the use of AI in Holly Wood; that is just one example. Recently, many big tech companies fired many employees in huge numbers because of the use of AI. Yuval Noah Harari, famous author of books like Sapiens, 21 Lessons for the 21st Century, and Homo Deus and Professor of History based in Israel, “has talked about the danger of AI and how it could wipe out many jobs over the years. “Not only jobs are in danger, even the human species are also in danger. He says today’s AI has the intelligence of a 5-year-old boy. Now! Think if it becomes 15 years old boy or 20 years old boy.
- Replicating Human Intelligence: Google developed an AI chess player that was so good that it bet on a world chess champion. Now! Think about this for a second: many medicinal professionals spent years learning and practicing to get better at their craft, plus learning everything possible related to their crafts.
And suddenly not out of nowhere, groups of startups came up with the idea of AI doctors that could detect any disease beforehand. To whom do you think people will refer a course to an AI doctor? One way this makes human doctor’s sit in the back seat is because every human doctor cannot be updated on new discoveries or the latest tech at a given time, unlike AI doctors. So! The danger of human doctors being easily replaced is there. Unless and until he or she finds out something unique, the AI doctor will not be able to do it.
- Deep fakes, fraud, and scams: When social media became more and more user-friendly, it became addictive like cocaine. Research has found that social media is highly addictive, similar to taking a drug, because it releases chemicals called dopamine (feel good, motivation, and learning) in both cases. Who thought social media, which was designed to make us stay connected to our friends, Now is the cause of our pain and suffering in life because we are absorbed in it the whole day.
Over the years, many technologies that are designed for the development of mankind have come with drawbacks. As AI begins to penetrate around the world, as we begin to enjoy its benefits, making our lives easier on the other side, deep fakes begin to raise their evil head. “Deepfakes are the manipulation of facial appearance through deep generative methods. While the act of creating fake content is not new, deepfakes leverage powerful techniques from machine learning and artificial intelligence to manipulate or generate visual and audio content that can be more easily deceived.” Sources: Wikipedia
What makes this technology dangerous is that anyone can use it to manipulate anyone. Fraud and scams have the same meaning. Recently, there was a fraud case that made me think about how dangerous AI will be if the government doesn’t come up with some kind of regulation to control the use of AI or its development. So that it does not end up in the wrong hands.
Here is what it was: “It happens in the United States—some family members begin to receive a call from their loved ones who are in urgent financial help. Later, it turns out it was fake”. So! How they (the criminal) did well: There is an AI technology that lets anyone create a clone of one’s voice. One just had to give a sample of one’s voice to that AI software. If you want to know how powerful this AI is I request that you check out this song by Evanescence: My Immortal ft. Chester Bennington (Linkin Park) on YouTube to make things clear Evanescence and Chester Bennington (Linkin Park) never came together to sing this song together, and that song was originally sung by Evanescence (only Chester’s voice was used to make it sound like they both came together to sing together). It was all created using the same technology that I mentioned earlier.
At the end, I am not an expert in artificial intelligence (AI) technology, so I can’t say whether it is good or bad; it all depends on how people use it.