- Fineness Test by Sieve Test Procedure
- Soundness Test of Cement by Le-Chatelier
- Initial setting Time and Final Setting Time Test by Vicat Apparatus
Sieve Analysis Test Method
The sieve analysis test method has two types:
- Dry Sieve Analysis procedure
- Wet Sieve Analysis procedure
Apparatus Used In The Experiment Are:-
Theory Of The Experiment:-
- Fineness test is done to check the grained or size of cement particle for fine construction of a building or any structure by performing sieve test procedure.
- The fineness of cement or sizes of the particle is measured by passing cement sample through the 90 micron IS sieve. The portion of cement whose grain size is larger than the specified mesh size thus determined.
Sieve Test Procedure For Fineness Of Cement
- Take a certain amount of cement sample and make free from lumps by breaking down.
- Weigh accurately 10.0 g of cement with the help digital weighing machine.
- Place it on the 90 microns IS sieve having a collecting plate fixed at the bottom and
- Agitate the sieve gently for 2 minutes.
- After stirring the sieve measure the collected residue on the collecting plate with the help of a digital weighing machine and take it as W1.
- Brush out all the fine materials left on the sieve manually.
- Repeat the sieve test procedure for one more times and calculate the mean as a percentage expressed to the nearest 0.1 percentage.
Percentage Weight of residue = Weight of sample left on the sieve/Total weight of the sample
Precaution Of Sieve Test Procedure
Effect Of Fineness on Cement Paste
- The fineness test is performed to determine the particle size distribution of cement.
- The compressive strength of cement is dependent upon the particle size distribution.
- The hydration rate of cement is a factor of particle size distribution. Moreover, the heat of hydration increased, the peak of hydration heat brought forward and induction period shortened with the increased fineness of the cement.
- The strength of cement, especially the early strength significantly increased.
- A porosity of cement paste is reduced with the increase of cement fineness.